English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 December 2007, 13:06   #1
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Apple iMac G3 vs Amiga OS4: Yes or No?

Hi,

I can lay hands on an iMac G3 for a silly price, which makes me wonder...

Instead of forking out serious moolah to get a PPC card for my Miggy, could Amiga OS4 be "persuaded" to run on the iMac G3?

Probably not, but you never know.....

Merlin

Last edited by Merlin; 09 December 2007 at 22:52.
Old 07 December 2007, 14:48   #2
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Would be a good 'second best' to porting for x86...
...I suspect no more likely for the same reason:

OS4 on PPC is about control of the platform & potential user-base (). If it ran on widespread hardware that control would be lost.

Mind you - OS4 on x86 would require the sources (a job for Hyperion) but OS4 on PPC-Mac may be feasible as a 'home project'...
...it would be a hell of a lot of work for an independent coder.
Old 07 December 2007, 15:04   #3
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

God I'd love OS4 on my old G3 powerbook, that would fucking rule.
Old 07 December 2007, 15:24   #4
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Hmmm, I may be tempted to get the G3 and see how Amiga OS 3.5 or 3.9 goes onto it, just for the hell of it.

Has anyone tried OS 3.5 or 3.9 on Mac hardware?

Merlin
Old 07 December 2007, 16:58   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Merlin

... in a couple of words.....

custom chips.... custom roms and more custom chips...

although the Kickstarts and WB code for OS's upto 3.9 are wrote for 68020 Motorola's (will work on 040's / 060's with library revisions) the ROM code also routes access to the custom chips (graphics / sound / ide etc)

theres no provision for these on Macs. although they are 68k based moto's their internal architecture is as alien as a PC as far as work-bench is concerned

It would take you some time to write or I should say... re-write the code for it to run on a 68k mac.

arguably you would have to start at re-writing the ROMS and then the intuition structures, exec's a shit load of other low-level bits of code, and then start on re-working the workbench libraries... anything that (hits the hardware) would have to have some level of re-working. Any program that hits the hardware would likely fail, unless you had a secondary abstraction layer to the OS to support hardware calls...

yeah.... i have thought about this..... but it would take .... for one person.... a very VERY long time.... no matter how good you are....

I would suggest looking at having X-Amiga running on your G3, that would fly. or perhaps AROS, that has a huge potention when they get the - inline emulator.
Old 08 December 2007, 15:14   #6
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

OK, I'll put this idea on the back burner then, thanks Z, it was a nice idea while it lasted....

M

Last edited by Merlin; 08 December 2007 at 21:18.
Old 08 December 2007, 16:46   #7
DaZZaBoY
Diamond Geezer!

@Zet: How about making it your next super project?
Old 08 December 2007, 18:12   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@DazzY

one at a time my friend.... one at a time....

just which one?......
Old 08 December 2007, 22:35   #9
amigarobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Merlin

... in a couple of words.....

custom chips.... custom roms and more custom chips...

OS breaks all the dependency on the Custom chips, OS4 could run on Mac PPC hardware, with only drivers required for the sound/Graphics, which for the resonably standard PPC Macs would, I suspect, be less work than converting it to Amiga+Blizzard and assorted PCI/graphics gubbins.

But they don't have rights to release it for them, darn you Amiga Inc. Darn you to hell!
Old 09 December 2007, 07:45   #10
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

This is a silly exercise, as it would be wasting a computer and OS with infinitely more possibilities, programs, and support in order to run....OS4.
If you do not intend this as a main computer and have the money to spend, and want to fiddle around with OS4 then I think it's a cool idea indeed.

MickAKA, seeing that the newer Macs have no support for Classic, why not keep the G3 as Classic dedicated computer?
Old 09 December 2007, 09:45   #11
Jope
-

G3 is quite slow in terms of OSX computers.. Heck, even this iBook G4 (1.33GHz) I'm typing this message on is beginning to show it's age when running heavier apps.

These would be just perfect for a dual boot OSX/OS4/MorphOS machine.
Old 09 December 2007, 11:03   #12
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Send a message via MSN to adonay
Also as for the os4 version that is out on market is the classic one "supports and uses" custom chipset. It would be 60% more easy to adapt\port the A1 version . I cant believe there are actually people buying the classic os4 waiting for it to run on their G4 mac. I believe we will see a version for some other low end custom mobo before that. Such as sam etc ,, but i do not believe in running the classic os4 on mac ppc without extreme adaption
Old 09 December 2007, 11:23   #13
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If Hyperion had wanted Os4 to run on PPC Mac hardware it would have. It was designed for the AmigaOne motherboard afterall which is as far away from a PPC Amiga classic as an Apple Mac.

HOWEVER I dont think they will/can ever port it, or they would have done. These guys are not stupid, and they are not Amiga-philes, if it would have meant more sales, and if they could have done (technically / within their license) they would have done it.
Old 09 December 2007, 22:56   #14
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Hey guys, I was just thinking laterally, why spend ££££s on hardware that's as rare as rocking horse poo, is old and hence more likely to fail when I could get a complete G3 Mac for £40 that's based on a PPC?

It sort of made sense at the time to me.....oh well...

Merlin