View Single Post
Old 15 January 2018, 02:02   #2
scuzz

One issue you may suffer is insect attack. Moths can bite a hole through anything and strip whole faces off paper. I lost a box that way. Also spiders do destroy a lot of boxes cus they crap over everything. Moisture degrades paper and if there is any oil or human residue, fingermarks, on the paper it can go pink or brown and even go mouldy. Best way to store boxes is in a dry environment and in plastic boxes or tubs so they can't be attacked.

I take all my inside contents out of boxes and stack books etc on shelves. The disks are then stored in disk boxes. And trust me I have a lot over 13000 disks. With boxes I stack them vertical on shelves and avoid any weight sitting on top. I keep them generally out of the light though stacked face on like books they never degrade. I have found game boxes to be quite stable.

There is no substitute for the original artwork and the boxes. Like I say I remove everything and catalogue and place empty boxes stacked or in tubs if they are going to be left unattended. You can try to avoid normal lights and use the LED when they are exposed to lighting. Keeping dry and free from insects is the biggest chellenge especially in a loft. Ventilate as best you can and keep in tubs and stack tubs and not the boxes.

As to scanning , doesn't hurt, but I'm guessing most games can be found on the web anyway. The books are valuable in truth and making good notes of the contents. And also.. avoid rubber bands... on anything. Destroy them all. And paper clips. Avoid wet fingers or even moist fingers.

Anyway just read up on saving artwork and paper etc . Fascinating subject. Have fun.

One last thing if you have any gear in a loft that has an electrical cable inside I would remove it cus it can react with the polystyrene inners and will melt on computer cases. Without doubt the biggest killer of stored kit in lofts. Cable burn. Dreadful.

scuzz
http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/scuzzblog.htm

Page generated in 0.04347 seconds with 11 queries