View Single Post
Old 04 February 2020, 09:52   #3
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubeTheory View Post
I have it installed, sitting on stand-offs, and on a brass plate, which ties the 2 earth points together nicely, and the shield and shield ground pin is main earth referenced. This is one curiosity as my big heavy old Type 1 A500 Linear supply doesn't have continuity between these 2 pins, but the shield is mains earth referenced.
Nice job. Commodore's PSUs seem inconsistent in this regard - some connect the earth through to ground, others don't. But the Meanwell units are designed for earth connection so that's fine.

Quote:
The other pins connect into the PSU, to the +5, +12, -12, and COM. I didn't fit an inline fuse because one of the few good things about living in the UK is the superior fused plugs we have. Plus the PSU has 2 (albeit soldered) fuses on board (T2.5A, 250v).
Yeah, it is nice having a fused appliance plug, but it would be poor practice to rely exclusively on that when you're powering equipment that can't handle the current further downstream. In this case, the on-board fuses are ideal for the extra protection you need.

Quote:
I noticed some concern about the RT-50B needing loading with power resistors to make it stable, and I haven't done that in the case of the RPT-60B, as I'm seeing a constant +5.02v, +11.75v & -11.81v without load.

So far I've only tested it with the Amiga 500 once, and all seemed fine. Is there anything I should change or be concerned about?
The regulation on that and similar models of Meanwell is based on the 5V rail, so once that reaches the minimum load, all the rails should be in spec. The other rails having a minimum load may simply be to do with power ratings of individual parts - not having the load there might drive some parts beyond their specification. It's hard to know what the long-term results of this might be, bug I've been running similar setups (not necessarily for Amigas) for many years with no ill effects.

Last edited by Daedalus; 04 February 2020 at 10:00.

Page generated in 0.04271 seconds with 11 queries