View Single Post
Old 22 November 2019, 11:06   #2393
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeuwtje View Post
1. I tried to update whdload on my cd32 raiser board workbench setup. I wanted to play 'midnight resistance' which didn't work on the older version. After copying the files from the lha file to c and s (I did backup the originals) I tried to run games, but the screen went black and weird stuff came up. Like the GPU doesn't support a video mode or something similar.... Never had a clue what happened.
Simply restored the old situation and accepted my collection as it is.
I'd suggest you just want to delete the existing WHDLoad install and use the installer included with the package to install the current version of WHDLoad.

Quote:
Now I can't run the newer slaves for the latest WHD load version. Is it true CD audio is supported now in the newest cd32 slaves? Technically I have difficulty to imagine that...
I don't think CD audio is supported. I could be wrong but I understand CD audio is handled in Akiko on the CD32 direct from the drive and is just mixed with the Paula audio. I don't see a method of reading CD audio from the HDD. That said this is a feature I'd love to see implemented in WHDLoad or whatever. Modern storage is more than big enough to hold an entire CD32 ISO library on the drive.

Quote:
2. I can't make up my mind what kind of screen to use. It is possible to use high resolution on Workbench, but it sucks on my old CRT RGB TV.
My friends think I am crazy to use a CRT, cause of the flickering, but for games it looks good. The CRT has RGB support, the colors looks nice, but it is true too much of that flickering gives me a headache. Would a modern 4:3 flatpanel LED screen give the same RGB look? At the other side, for workbench an 15 khz supporting PC monitor would be best to handle high resolution I guess. What are the type numbers of those?
High res workbench flickers on any screen I've tried it on. CRT will give you the best image but its a big bulky thing. I personally use a 4:3 LCD screen with the GBS8200 or direct to a modern TV with an RGB scart to HDMI converter. If you don't want to buy the converters get an old TV with a scart socket. For best picture try to get a plasma screen. My Amiga direct to my panasonic plasma in the living room over RGB is fantastic.

Quote:
3. People on this forum speak about 128 megabyte RAM in a Amiga 4000 or 1200....?
with use of expansion boards. What in the world would you need that for on a 1995 computer?
If there is no software demading that, what's the point?
I've got 128mb of ram in one of my A1200s and 64mb of ram in my CD32. (OK technically 130 in the 1200 and 66 in the CD32 if you include chip ram). Why??? Honest answer is because thats the amount of ram the accelerators have on them. My other A1200 with 6mb of ram total has probably never been filled. Modern ram is cheap as chips so there would be little cost saving in reducing the amount on the ACA or TF accelerators to say 32 or 16mb. Plus it gives options to those that actually use the machine for productivity.

Quote:
4. What do people do with amiga in 2019 if it is not for playing games?
Sometimes I have difficulty in understanding that.
I know a guy who owns a modern canon mirror reflex camera. He is also an amiga fan.
He is still convicted that amiga can do his development work after he shoots pictures...
It works, but he totally skips the RAW multi exposure benefits of his camera. He only copies .jpg out of the camera to his 25 year old amiga 4000 and use Deluxe paint AGA to freak his photo's. He is satisfied... 'Why do you use amiga to fix your photo's?" his anser: "Because it's possible..."
My Amigas are 100% games machines but I have aspirations to do something about that. I did a fair bit of coding back in the day on PC, just high level stuff in visual basic or C. I really enjoyed it even remaking games like space invaders and even started development on a C&C clone (couldn't work out the AI but most the rest of it was there) The only thing holding me back to be honest is time and a severe lack of it. I am hoping to pick up some getting started tips at Amiga Ireland in January.

As for your friend and his photos its possible he is looking for that style of art the Amiga produces. I find "because its possible" or "because I can" to be a common answer within most retro computer scenes.

Page generated in 0.04193 seconds with 11 queries