View Single Post
Old 02 June 2020, 18:29   #220
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex View Post
I know many Vampire users and none of them got Coffin with the Vampire card.

But many of them bought and paid later for 3.1.4! And this is important, not OS3.9 which is full of bugs...
It's not "full of bugs" when you apply the Boing Bags and bother to update/add libraries such as guigfx and render, AHI (especially upgrade AHI) and a few others such as the packer/cruncher libs XAD and XFD, mpega.library and icon.library. I can't name them all.

I built an A4000 in FS-UAE by way of 3.1 to 3.5/3.9 and applied the Boing Bags. It was and is, as close to a modern OS as OS3 is ever going to get. It got even better when I updated the libs and the shell commands. I switched out the icons because I thought they looked too small in 1080p.

Several months later, I built an A1200 with 3.1.4. I thought it was garbage right out of the gate. All of the menu items and tools I was used didn't exist and it became apparent you couldn't do anything with a 3.1.4 installation until you added on a WHOLE LOT of additions.

Why so much animosity toward 3.5/3.9 from the 3.1.4 fanboys? Because the 3.1.4 developers themselves felt they needed to denigrate and disparage 3.5/3.9 instead of simply selling 3.1.4 on its own merits and now most of you who swear by 3.1.4 bought/buy into that crap. If you ever built a 3.1.4 and 3.9 system and compared them side by side, you'd know which was the most complete and the most "bug" free.

To the best of my knowledge there is no current legal challenge to Apollo/Coffin from the OS3.9 license holders, there hasn't been any legal challenge in the handful of years Apollo has been around, and there isn't likely to be.

However, there IS a legal challenge by the legal license holders against 3.1.4 which isn't resolved. I don't really care much, I own licenses for 1.2/1.3 which I bought when I purchased my Amiga 1000 back in 1990. Then I purchased a license for 2.04 along with the physical ROM which came with the Insider II/Kwikstart II boards I put in the 1000 so I could have the new OS. All these years later I've purchased 3.1, 3.1.4, and 3.5/3.9. How many freaking licenses do we Amiga users have to buy, anyway? Do I feel ripped off? Yup.

Page generated in 0.04346 seconds with 11 queries