View Single Post
Old 20 February 2008, 16:24   #13
AmigaBoy

Sorry I haven't posted yet. Real life and stuff...

I've given the new debugger a test run and it's unbelievably good! Having everything updated on one screen makes life so much easier. Thanks for putting in the time, thor. I had no idea anyone was even doing it
I do have a few suggestions. Whether or not they get implemented is no big deal. I think where's it's been taken already is a great step

First, a bug that occurs for me...
When I right click in the memory area and select "Set Top Address", the window is created off screen. It's still usable, but off screen.
Also related to that window is I can keep clicking "Set Top Address" and it'll keep creating those windows. Maybe just have 1? or make it modal so we can't do anything until the window is closed?

Now for suggestions...
- A minimize window button maybe? Noone else finds it annoying that they can't minimize the debugger window? I always have a huge window open to see more, so it covers my desktop.
- "Set Top Address" for the disassembly window too? Of course, pressing F11/F12 to step through will set the top address back to the current position however it would be nice to be able to view other disassembly.
- Scrollbars for the disassembly and memory window. A lot of times I like to snoop around and see what's around before I trace over instructions. As I said, F11/F12 would bring the focus back to whatever the disassembly is currently at. Maybe the memory window can stay at whereever we've scrolled to?
- When stepping through using F11/F12, how about it keeps the current screen of disassembly until it reaches the instruction below the bottom one, then it'll refresh with the next screen of disassembly. So for example, if I'm viewing C1BAAE up to C1BAD4 in the disassembly, when I step through, C1BAAE will remain at the top. When I step over C1BAD4, the new screen top becomes the instruction under C1BAD4 (eg. C1BAD8).
- For the disassembly (and maybe even memory window if possible), right click "Find All References To This Address"? I believe it corresponds to command fa
- Right click Breakpoints -> "List breakpoints". fl?
- Right click in the memory window and "Set value" to set a value for a memory address? Sort of like W C04397 35
- The ability to change the height of each of the sections. So I can make the disassembly larger than the memory window for example. I assume this one may be difficult since it looks like the debugger isn't using something like dockable windows right? oooh. Dockable/undockable windows....

I also have some general debugger improvements which I guess are directed more at Toni. I hope noone minds me hijacking my own thread
I loved the ability in AR3 to see where a function starts and ends. Any chance of seeing something like that? Maybe directly after each RTS/RTE/JMP/BRA/etc? So it'll look something like:

00C1BAAE 4a42 TST.W D2
00C1BAB0 6604 BNE.B #$00000004 == $00C1BAB6 (T)
00C1BAB2 4483 NEG.L D3
00C1BAB4 4e75 RTS.L
======================================================================
00C1BAB6 2003 MOVE.L D3,D0
00C1BAB8 2f0e MOVE.L A6,-(A7)
00C1BABA 2c6d 03d8 MOVEA.L (A5, $03d8) == $00c2b484,A6
00C1BABE 4eae ffc4 JSR.L (A6, -$003c) == $00c3679a
00C1BAC2 2c5f MOVEA.L (A7)+,A6
00C1BAC4 2600 MOVE.L D0,D3
00C1BAC6 7401 MOVE.L #$00000001,D2
00C1BAC8 4e75 RTS.L
00C1BACA 5257 ADD.W #$00000001,(A7)
00C1BACC 60cc BT .B #$ffffffcc == $00C1BA9A (T)
00C1BACE 6100 ff92 BSR.W #$ff92 == $00C1BA62
00C1BAD2 60d4 BT .B #$ffffffd4 == $00C1BAA8 (T)
00C1BAD4 6000 ff9c BT .W #$ff9c == $00C1BA72 (T)

With the D command, how about the option "must be different"?
Also with the D command, the ability to reset the search? Like the C command by itself, the D command doesn't seem to have this option (as far as I can see anyway).

Like I said, none of what I've suggested above need to even be implemented. I love what we have now and I appreciate the time everyone's put in. Great stuff!

Anyway, enough from me. I'm sure my annoying factor has gone up ten fold now. I'll shut up now

Page generated in 0.08560 seconds with 11 queries