View Single Post
Old 27 March 2012, 12:08   #16
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
@Roy: I obviously wasn't thinking clearly when I decided to do this, forgot that the A1200 and RTG have separate outputs to the monitor so will need to 'switch' them, will also be buying a 4:3 LCD monitor preferably with built in speakers!! Also, I don't think you can play games through an RTG card can you? Probably why you need to switch back to the A1200 for games and RTG for Workbench work?

there are games that support rtg,but they mainly require more umf like 040 or 060.

if you have whdload all/most of them use native amiga modes,so yes you would need a switch.

Is it worth getting the Mediator straight away though? I know it has advantages like using RTG so you can have a bigger workbench and more colour depth (and I spend more time using workbench than gaming sometimes) and can use a 10/100 NIC but is the expense worth it? Would my 40MHz 030 + 32mb be enough to run high res workbench as Rebel-CD32 pointed out his is useable upto 1280 res with an 030 + Indi AGA.

thats totally up to you,you dont really need it if you dont want to.
i use rtg and for me anyway it is worth it in my case.
the point im making(if any)is that a scandoubler(indi) doesent speed up the workbench any it is the same speed as you have now through scart,rtg is alot faster in refresh rates becuase you wouldent be using the customs chips for display.
for me 1280 is usable(native mode),but uses alot of chipram to genarate the screen so its alot slower.
all of this will of course be personal prefrence,and at the end of the day it should be you who makes that coice in the end.

Would the best idea be to buy the tower case, then fit the AGA MKII along with a FastATA so I can use the IDE HDD + DVD, get a keyboard adapter + keyboard and see what it runs like at 1024 and 1280 resolutions?

yes,thats a good idea theres no real rush to get it all in one go.

as for the keyboard adaptor,if you choose to use a real amiga keyboard(i like this aproach)then you wiil have to get one that works with an amiga keyboard,amigakit sell them.

Page generated in 0.04638 seconds with 11 queries