View Single Post
Old 28 February 2017, 02:32   #26
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Note that anyone who has seen AmigaOS sources is tainted and cannot legally develop a clean room reimplementation like AROS.
Olsen has made public comments about the condition of sources on amiga.org. I would not recommend anyone who has seen the sources to publicly admit to it but I don't want to give legal advise either .

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
The Pi is powerful enough to run an emulator for anything requiring the custom chips or legacy/original 68k code. Some sort of Amiga/ARM release could work well.
Emulators will get us everywhere and nowhere. The largest performance gain of the Raspberry Pi line has come from adding more cores and next from higher clock speeds (adjust Quake 3 benchmarks for clock speed and there is little difference between RPi 2 and 3). The cores are in order superscalar for better energy efficiency but this limits single core RISC performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Look what RISC OS did: open source an OS from the 80s and make it available on modern hardware. https://www.riscosopen.org/content/
The RISC OS has been reinvigorated by the Raspberry Pi because it now has very affordable native hardware. The same would happen for the Amiga if it had mass produced affordable native hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchhikr View Post
If my calculations are correct, this should work:
Violence is never the answer, especially against the innocent. What could be more innocent than a kitten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
This is an easy one to solve. Simply put the repo behind a Tor hidden service (.onion). It won't be taken down. No one is even going to know where it is hosted.

Here are the options I see:

1. Improve OS3.1 sources and publicly release DIFFs only, with scripts to rebuild against a specific hash of a specific archive of the 3.1 sources.

2. (Publicly) improve OS3.1 sources and put the whole repo behind a tor hidden service.

3. Improve AROS substantially.

4. Keep fighting with god-knows-who over god-knows-what "rights"

I prefer #2. Remember: the real issue is popular mentality. Proprietary software remains a plague, and I certainly would encourage everyone to fight it with every middle finger they can muster. Legal or not, open it all up and stop giving a shit. Its fitting, and in a way, perfect.
Hidden does not always stay hidden, especially something that becomes popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneNine View Post
And AROS source is sort of hidden even though its open source because they don't want anyone who might have seen the copyrighted Amiga source from tainting the AROS source and cause them a legal issue. So it makes working with AROS a little harder as well.
I don't believe this is true. The AROS source code is big and awkward but I don't think it is meant as a deterrent to anybody. I seem to recall some people wanting to make it easier to dl and build. I don't think very many people with classic 68k Amigas are downloading and building it though .

Page generated in 0.08466 seconds with 11 queries