View Single Post
Old 18 May 2017, 23:43   #6
e5frog
The Headstrong

Send a message via ICQ to e5frog Send a message via MSN to e5frog
Maybe J5 is for ST506 and J4 is for SCSI.

I think max size is 256MB for the drive unless you run the soft fix - which I don't understand how it should work. I guess if you boot from a small drive and run the soft fix it will handle the larger drives as well.
If you have the first version of 2090 it won't autoboot. Not sure if it's enough to swap ROMs, I dumped mine if you want to try.

I have a cable with six connectors, one end goes in the card, there's a mark with 1 for the red line on the cable.
You set up the SCSI ID on the hard drive, it's a bit pattern with three jumpers you can put jumper blocks on (usually small jumper blocks). I think card is 0 in our case so you have 1-7 to choose from.
Last unit on the cable has to be terminated, so if you only have one drive it should be last on the cable and the resistor packs mounted (by the connector). This is to prevent bouncing signals, it's chance to run without them.
There are termination packs you can plug on the end of the cable - so you never have to terminate the drives.

Then you need to use the prep tools for the 2090, HDToolBox is not compatible, the 2090 doesn't handle the usual SCSI commands. I think it's a WB1.3 program, but if you fix things there you can reformat it later. Don't recall the details but I think you also need a Mountlist where you describe the drive, amount of blocks etc. It's possible it's jut needed for multiple disks,

I uudecoded some 2090 prep programs from a GUI file I had to look for with waybackmachine.
I think I have the actual disk though, just preparing and reading up.

It's a lot of work... not just plug and play.

I'm currently trying to reach the Amiga-drives from my PC using a SCSI-card. It's visible in system settings but I can't put a device letter on it - and not attach it in WinUAE nor open it with WinHex - not even one of the working drives.

So... that's the current status.

Page generated in 0.07323 seconds with 11 queries