View Single Post
Old 27 May 2011, 16:44   #7
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
Thanks for the response Ed, however, i'm more interested in how to solve this problem with assembly. I know that maths lib might be the easiest, but I'd love to know how these kind of problems are resolved when working directly with the CPU.

I know what you mean, I've tried to complish the same thing dealing with the remainder but it's always been very difficult. Seems like there's always some odd combination of things that causes problems, so I end up using double floating point. Recently I did manage to use the remainder method and it was working, but in the normal use of what I was doing I would frequently end up with numbers after the divide that were larger then a long could handle and it messed up my whole plan. In this case speed was important and using double floating point was slow but I ended up using it anyway, I had no choice. My math isn't good enough to figure out how to use remainders reliably to do what I needed. Especially rounding.

I use WinUAE so the emulated fpu is really fast, so when I really need my float points to be fast I compile to use inline FPU code. But that also requires using at least a 68020, but you want 68000. If you could use a 68020 you can also use an assembler that knows fpu commands and use the fpu to convert, calculate, and convert back to integers. From a assembly programmers point of view the fpu is a dream to use and very fast.

Page generated in 0.04094 seconds with 11 queries