View Single Post
Old 14 October 2019, 01:22   #790
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
I disagree that the A3000 was the best. While it was definitely the best-engineered, it was a bit of a step back from the A2000 in terms of room to work in for the power user, yet was priced like it was for a corporate power user.
As a former A3000 owner myself, I agree - except for the 'best-engineered' part.

The A3000 was a bitch to work on - from the lack of room to not being able to operate it with the case half off, the ZIP RAM that was impossible to install without bending IC legs, the CPU board that didn't have enough room to add a fan, etc. It also weighed ton, and the power supply fan was incredibly noisy. I have no desire to own one today.

Quote:
C= never once produced a good middle-ground system, it seemed to only produce machines for teenage gamers and machines for companies with deep pockets.
Not quite true. They did release the A1500, which was an A2000 stripped down to make it more affordable. In New Zealand Commodore sold A2000s with nothing but a single floppy drive, which many of my friends bought. I should have too, but I didn't like the size of the box (big mistake).

I love the A1200 though. Just the size I like, and plenty of computing power with an appropriate accelerator card (I have a Blizzard 1230-IV). It might have been marketed as a teenage gamer's machine, but there was no reason it couldn't be a good 'middle-ground' system too. A friend of mine used one to run his business on (and play games too, of course!).

Page generated in 0.04234 seconds with 11 queries