View Single Post
Old 17 January 2011, 19:36   #1639
tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
I've had several customers in Germany who had stability problems with their ACA1230-28. Three of them have now confirmed that the attached timing fix is perfectly working for them.

I have snapped pictures and wrote the attached document. Should anyone of you have stability issues with the ACA1230, please check if you have the capacitors E123C and E125C installed. Only remove them if you really have stability problems. By removing them if you don't have any problems, you're likely to introduce timing issues. In other words: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Jens
Jens and/or Chris, could you elaborate on this problem? I've just had a frustrating entire day of accelerator/motherboard/ROM/PSU/HD swapping all over the place and general Amiga destruction, and it's left me a little unclear about my next move.

I have both a 1D1 and a 1D4 that are both exhibiting severe graphic corruption and hang very soon after boot when fitted with ACA1230/28. (The 1D4 also sometimes claims it has 65 meg of RAM and not enough memory at the same time ). Firstly is this the kind of problem experienced by others?

I read the above post, and so to test, I have hacked together a setup with a 1A motherboard and this appears stable so far. The unfortunate thing is the keyboard side of this motherboard is screwed, and the video streaking fix has not been done so I will need to do more work on either my 1D1 or 1D4 (preferred) or the 1A (hopefully not) to get a proper working 1200 with acceleration. Hence the request for advice before proceeding (and also hence on EAB and not a support request. I think probably the accel is OK)

My 1D1 has the E123C/R and E125C/R all fitted. However I am given to understand from the internet at large, that 1D1 doesn't generally suffer from timing issues (for example, Eyetech declared it their preferred motherboard for testing).

The 1D4 has all 4 removed. However, I am given to understand that removing them is supposed to solve the problem! Or is it a bit more "grey" than that?

In addition both machines work fine with a Blizzard 1230 IV (one each). These have been swapped all over the place today during testing with no issues shown. Furthermore the 1D1 Amiga is a proper workhorse, and has been running literally for weeks and months at a time with the Blizzard in place, with no perceptible issues. I guess, that the Blizzard, faithful workhorse though it is, is perhaps not as hardcore when it comes to timing as the ACA? Or should I reasonably expect a machine that can operate for weeks on a Blizzard to work with ACA no problems?

Therefore you can see hopefully how I am a little confused at exactly what may be going on in Amiga-motherboard-timing-land, and what is the best method to proceed. If you could explain a little and advise I would be grateful, and perhaps would some others on here.

<edit> Haha, maybe spoke too soon. Further use of the 1A has resulted in some crashing, but in a more conventional kind of way. I'll check it out a bit more.

Last edited by tin; 17 January 2011 at 19:44.

Page generated in 0.38151 seconds with 11 queries