View Single Post
Old 23 January 2021, 05:34   #500
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
I guess maybe the base size would have to be quite large still - a bit like human DNA information to grow a human or acorn to grow an oak

I thought of some cool compression ideas for CD32

Highscore table - store difference between successive scores (in the table) where this saves space (compression routine can decide if this is best way and code for in saved bytes)

Football game with lots of editable player names. Store as differences from large list of preset names stored on CD
You could have a thousand first names and a thousand surnames (or much less than this might work better)

I mean this is not quite right, the way I am stating it - but I think the large CD space can be used to store predefined values that can be used as a base to build decompressed values from
Nice.

Alternatively in the future when we can buy flux capacitors from the shop, we burn rubber up to 88, kidnap some Commodore engineers and have them read this thread from the future. This way i’ll not have to code the Worlds greatest compression routine because commodore could just put an extra 1kb of nvram in their next gen console.

Page generated in 0.07696 seconds with 11 queries