View Single Post
Old 24 February 2019, 01:39   #4
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulant View Post
Hi thanks for the reply.

Before I start pulling everything out again to inspect and reseat the port etc - I just wondered about the alternate serial.device...

It isn't a fresh install in as much as I didn't do the install - so it seems fresh but I don't know for sure. I don't think it can be the serial.device driver though as I've booted ColorTerm from a floppy disk and that wouldn't work either? Is it worth trying an alternative serial.device or is that a waste of time do you think if a floppy-based term wouldn't work?

Thanks again

An alternate serial.device was a pretty unlikely possibility, but I mentioned it just in case. I mean you can just do a 1> list devs:serial.device and see if the size is correct for whatever version of Workbench you have installed.

Or if perhaps there was another program in your startup-sequence that was patching it for some reason, perhaps by the previous owner. Again this is not all that likely but some hardware that might have been previously installed might have monkeyed with this.

Booting from a floppy is a pretty safe way to verify, or booting a Workbench floppy and running term that way.

Or if you happen to have an old modem around try sending some AT commands to it.

Just trying to rule out some unknown incompatibility with your wifi modem. Or is it powered by the serial port? Maybe it's drawing too much power if that's the case, which leads back to checking your power supply.

Page generated in 0.07094 seconds with 11 queries