View Single Post
Old 15 January 2020, 19:19   #54
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Oh, I know, I consider my topic title fully DEBUNKED. Now if only a Moderator would change the topic title accordingly...
All in good spirit. Comparing the whole (games) can give rise to unfounded generalisms, but a technical comparison might reveal the details. It really was the best sprite chip on the market. Sometimes we forget that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
No, and Atari sprites could only be stretched out on the X-axis. C64 could do both X- and Y- axes, which makes them even better.
I'm pretty sure nobody would tolerate halfres sprites on Amiga, let alone call them better. Vertical stretching is possible, but with all the RAM in the Amiga you'd rather have them fullres (i.e. just 'tall') to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I'd like to point out that this is not fully accurate. The Archimedes does in fact have a single hardware sprite: 32 pixels wide and just like the Amiga of "any height".

Looking at the specs, I'd personally guess the intention of this hardware sprite is to be used as a mouse pointer or similar.
Yes, PC graphics cards at the time had 1 sprite dedicated to a pointer. You explained your reply well, though, so I understand what you mean - my mention of it was to point out that Amiga's main competitors weren't anywhere close, and only a few consoles that came out after Amiga had more sprites, in the time window before the era of mostly 3D games.

Page generated in 0.05833 seconds with 11 queries