View Single Post
Old 23 September 2013, 01:08   #400
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
It was terrible. It did so many things much worse than Sonic. This post from earlier sums it up perfectly:

I would say it was average at best, it was a good demo of what could be done on A500 hardware but the gameplay was boring, the music sucked and the main character was so unlikeable it made you not want to play.

Having three channels for music and one for SFX is perfectly doable. The sound hardware was limiting, but developers used that as an excuse not to even bother. Turrican, Lionheart and many others proved music and SFX were perfectly doable at the same time. Paula was perfectly capable of acceptable game audio.

Do you mean arcade conversions? Most console conversions were a helluva lot better than the Amiga counterparts.

Megdrive Turrican was not a port, Turrican 3 was actually developed primarly for the MD.

What makes you say the Amiga version was better? Mega Turrican's music was easily on par if not better than the Amiga counterpart, the controls were better (especially for the rope swing), the graphics were tons better.

No surprise but it is one of the reasons why platformers are mediocre on the Amiga

I never said it wasn't. Doesn't make the rampant piracy on the Amiga any less of a bitter pill to swallow.

Their cost cutting gave rise to AGA, and the same blitter speed as an 1985 A500. Pretty inexcusable.

Talking specifically about the platformers, Megadrive/SNES has a much higher ratio of good games to bad ones. There are bad ones sure, but the Amiga is full of bad ones, with hardly any really good ones.

You're pretty much wrong on most counts as far as MegaTurrican/Turrican 3 are concerned.

Yes, it was developed first for Megadrive, but it was ALWAYS envisioned that the Amiga would get a version as well, and ended up being released first.

Secondly the graphics in Mega Turrican were not 'tons better' either. Foreground graphics were the same, the Amiga version didn't have the background parallax graphics, but i'm actually at a loss as to how that would make it physically a 'better' game. Parallax has nothing to do with playability whatsoever.

I personally found Mega Turrican too cluttered where some enemies blended too easily with the background. Thats not cool no matter how you cut it.

And lastly, whilst the Mega Turrican music was pretty damned good for the Megadrive, the Amiga version had it beat, the 7 channel title music on the Amiga elevated it beyond the Megadrive music before we even get to the ingame music.

Page generated in 0.05130 seconds with 11 queries