View Single Post
Old 21 October 2019, 00:18   #815
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I don't think it was a huge deal that Paula wasn't updated. I mean, the existing one already produced some of the best music we have ever heard.
Gravis Ultrasound was released in 1992, same year as AGA was out.
That card had 32 hardware channels mixed at 16-bit 44.1kHz. Even though it had linear resampling interpolation (muddier sound than Paula) and a lowering of output frequency if more than 14 voices were active, it was eating Paula for breakfast (imo).
Four 8-bit voices was not that impressive in 1992, and I would pick 44.1kHz with more channels over 56kHz 4 channels any day. The 56kHz rates mode was also not that much used, as most software and games ran in the lower screen resolution mode where 28kHz voice rate was max.

Yeah, the Amiga had some impressive music, but I'm more impressed by PC tracker music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Also the 56khz samplerate is still not achieved by most PC's.
Most modern sound card DACs can do 96kHz and even 192kHz. This is not something the general man on the street would need, as 44.1kHz can already contain all human-audible tone frequencies (44.1kHz/2=~22kHz tones). This makes more sense for music production, before mastering to lower rates. So yeah, not sure what you are talking about there.

Page generated in 0.04201 seconds with 11 queries