View Single Post
Old 29 October 2019, 00:32   #3
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
I have two A4000s now, and it is great that it is the one Amiga that has a jumper for PAL/NTSC (pretty sure all the others you have to either use early startup or a boot loader that switches). So my first A4000 I just stuck on PAL, so that all the games would work. My secondary one I left on NTSC as I believe the Video Toaster requires it.

But that means if I want to play a game (in this case Hudson Hawk), I have to make sure to go into Early Startup and put the system into PAL mode, just switching to a PAL resolution isn't good enough.

So my question is, can't this be done directly with patching the whdload slaves? Seems to me the games mostly require the early boot because they ignire whatever the workbench screen is (in fact it creates its own on top, doesn't it?) Is there just an option I am missing? Any database out there of games that only work in PAL?
Don't use that jumper! Always use the early startup menu or some other tool to switch PAL/NTSC. That jumper seems to work fine at worst, but it causes AmigaOS to expect the correct crystal for that system instead of correcting for the different crystal.

E.g. if you have an NTSC A4000 and jumper it to PAL, it will assume you have a PAL crystal and time everything accordingly, even though you have an NTSC crystal. This will cause some subtle timing errors, in particular your system clock will drift.

If you do want to use that jumper, make sure you swap the crystal as well.

Page generated in 0.05031 seconds with 11 queries