View Single Post
Old 11 June 2018, 20:29   #71
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hth313 View Post
What I am talking about is all the license mess and all the small popes trying to own their tiny share of something big. This shareware and closed source mentality has taken you nowhere and will just continue to do just that. On top of that mountain of mess we have all the law suites.

I can tell you that by doing this you are just doing harm and not helping mankind or even yourself in any way whatsoever.

Having recently come back to the Amiga I am baffled by all this. It is just so small minded and downright retarded looking at the big picture. In the Haskell community where I do my work, almost everything is open source with liberal non-GPL licenses. Things can be used, inspected, improved and innovated from. Everything just kicks ass and things keeps happening. In the Amiga world... not at all.

You will never get anywhere with the current attitude. Nowhere, I can assure you that.

Sadly this is so true.
Tons of stuff on Aminet - but most is closed source even if it is freeware ... why?
Even new things are still closed down :-/

That is even true for some AROS specific software ... just compiled for an od version many of just one architecture, and the author no longer active of course.

There are so many small/tiny tools and programs, that so some nice trick, and you would like to see how this is done on an Amiga-like OS ... but no, you have to reinvent the wheel again and again.

Same for the MUI/Zune dilemma: all the closed source custom mcc for MUI ... WHY??? And WHY not opening up MUI?
You could even dual-licence it and allow only other free software to use the open variant...

Page generated in 0.05162 seconds with 11 queries