View Single Post
Old 11 September 2018, 11:48   #27
Epo
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
What we really need is another term, "sandbox-like", to make the whole question of definition easier.
Yes and no. The truth is this definition is shaped by later (mostly PC) games. In face of that I concluded I'll be seeing some Amiga games with more flexible eye regarding this definition. And as onkelarie wrote, Frontier back then gave players what nowadays sandbox games offer (on different scale of course). Old Amiga studios had no reference to anything beside what has been released. They were evolving and experimenting. But they were limited. Limited not by Amiga's hardware but rather by publishers pressing to limit the developing time and floppy disks the game would fit in. If Amiga games were releasing digitally to download in early 90s or at least the distribution media were bigger and cheap then some studios would break that limit and games would be more advanced, eventually coming very close to what todays sandbox is. I think, but who know, maybe I'm wrong

PS I'd stick with the "sandbox" and changed nothing. Some flexibility and common sense should be applied thou.

Page generated in 0.08587 seconds with 11 queries