View Single Post
Old 10 September 2018, 13:00   #22
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
My own interpretation which should be the official definition.
Why?
Quote:
Who defines "official" after all? Is there a game authority?
Common usage? The dictionary? Both better for defining a term than your own personal opinion. Should everyone check with you before using any words to describe a game? Should I ask you to confirm that Superfrog is a platformer before describing it to a friend as a platformer?

Quote:
To me a sandbox is not just open-world or free-roaming. An open-world or free-roaming with no effect on that open world, is not a sandbox. In that sense Far Cry is a sandbox game?
Yep.

Quote:
In your edit, you contradict the "open world" yourself. Indeed a sandbox enabled game may limit your actual freedom or roaming somewhat, but DOES enable you to affect (your limited) environment.
Nope, the open world is as big or as small as the game allows. An open world doesn't mean infinite, it just means you're free to move wherever and do whatever you want within the game's mechanics and limits. It's a lack of any strongly implemented linear structure.

Quote:
Open world does not automatically mean "do whatever you want". This is why I consider the terms related but not same.
Within the scope of the game, it does. Again, it seems you're using your own, personal definition of the term instead of the generally accepted meaning. Perhaps the problem is associating the term "free roaming" with "open"?

Page generated in 0.04452 seconds with 11 queries