View Single Post
Old 21 October 2019, 16:31   #22
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by macce2 View Post
Excuse me for being a noobie, but would you please explain, how would I set the mask correctly ? My CPU card doesn't have any Ram onboard, but on the motherboard there is a normal 2 Mb Chip + 16 Mb Fast, and I also have the BigRamPlus card (256 Mb) installed. Thus, it does indeed seem that SysInfo (and maybe the whole system?!) somehow shows all the Zorro memory as "one" ?!
If you have no hardware or driver bugs, the mask should be 0xffffffff - no limitations on address or alignment.

Nothing will become better/faster by using a restrictive mask if you don’t need it. It will only make the file system do the transfer in super small chunks via chipmem or similar at really low speed for memory/alignments not matching the mask.

You should have no address restrictions on an A4000 with a Z3 card- all addresses should be usable for DMA. Also, in my experience, Phase5 cards has no alignment restrictions either. You can see if this is the case by choosing mask 0xffffffff for a partition (not boot partition, that is unnecessary) and run a diskspeed test on it and see that it works correctly for byte, word and longword alignment.

Last edited by patrik; 21 October 2019 at 16:36.

Page generated in 0.04302 seconds with 11 queries