View Single Post
Old 08 December 2016, 14:26   #1
gazj82

I was late to the Amiga scene! If you was, why whats your story?

I was a real late comer to the Amiga, here is my story of how a late Amiga user ended up loving it.

198x - Primary school times
The first I ever knew about the Amiga 500 would have been from the Adverts in Commodore format. I knew they were way way out of my parents price range. I didn't even attempt to ask them about it. This would have been late 1980's at a guess.

1993-4 - Early secondary school around Year 7
The first time I ever saw an Amiga was round a friends house. His brother had an Amiga, I guess it would have been a A1200 (as they had the newest and best of everthing). He was heavily into football so I only ever saw him playing Championship Manager on it. Football was not my thing but I knew the Amiga was a pretty special machine just from this.

1996 at a guess
I had a friend who had an Amiga 1200 really gathering dust (this was the playstation era after all). Anyway he let me borrow it as I seemed fascinated by it and he wasn't using it.

He had the following games.
Nigel Mansell
Trolls
Zool
Beneath a steel sky (Man the loading times were a killer from floppy)
Manchester United Europe
Photon paint
SWOS - Copy
Brutal sports football - Copy
Skidmarks - Copy (Disks were really iffy)
Some golf game I had no interest in.
Desert Strike - Copy

Anyway I loved this machine. So much so I made any excuse not to give it back :S. (This must have been for about 18 months). Eventually he offered to sell it to me. I can't remember what I paid for it. But I guess it wouldn't have been a lot otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford it.

Eventually I had to put my A1200 away when the mouse gave up. Most copied games needed a mouse press to get past the cracktro.

2010 ish till now.
A guy I met at our local Linux user group gave me an Amiga mouse he had spare. The Amiga was alive again!
Since then I have been recovering my lost Amiga years as I was so late to the party.
I have the same A1200 now with a 030 and 8gb hd loaded with whdload goodies. But even so I still collect original Amiga games whenever disposable income allows it. There is something about having the box, the manual, the sound of the original floppies spinning in the drive.

I kind of feel sad that I missed the Amiga when it was in it's prime. But the fact I could still get huge enjoyment out of it long after it's demise proves what a great machine it was.

Anyone else really late to the Amiga like me with there story to share?

Page generated in 0.10503 seconds with 11 queries