View Single Post
Old 10 August 2016, 18:06   #48
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
More like SSE actually. 3DNow was supposedly first to use floating point in the SIMD but it was partially to avoid the x87 FPU (not nearly as nice as the 68k FPU) and was spartan in functionality. SSE is the standard commonly used with lots of existing code. Altivec was another option which commonly uses single precision and which the Apollo-core SIMD was patterned after early on but there isn't as much code for it. The PPC is archaic at the hardware level which designers didn't think would be a problem because compilers would generate all the code but a good portion of SIMD code has been hand coded in assembler.
MMX kind of disabled the x87 by hijacking registers but what about AMMX and a future 68k FPU. I'm not sure I get this part. The Apollo core AMMX gives you 32 registers. How will this affect the future FPU.
If the Pentium MMX couldn't use the FPU for Float the I get the problem, but if Apollo Core AMMX and FPU registers don't "clash" then you should be able to use both at the same time?

btw, Just saw that BigGun is welcoming coders that could optimize stuff (primarily video and audio players) for AMMX. So maybe we'll be seeing some benefits pretty soon. Riva player could become quite powerful I imagine.

Skickat från min HTC One via Tapatalk

Page generated in 0.04411 seconds with 11 queries