Thread: mod renamer?
View Single Post
Old 06 August 2019, 23:07   #15
Axxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I'm not sure if all artist would agree if you rename their mods and make it public somewhere. In private you can do what you want of course. However, I don't see a need for it. Maybe work for years or decades.

What about of sorting by artist named directories? Then you don't need to add artist name to mod name. I think this is easier and also easy to find.
Tbh, I don't care about naming conventions. When you have a few hundred/thousand mods it's not much of an issue. But when it's in the 100,000+ across many formats, the old filenames are a complete nightmare.

abc.mod or mod.abc tells you nothing. What happens when you have 3 or 4 or more with that filename. Way back I decided to use artist_modname.ext. I structured my folders 0-9, A1,A2,B1 etc and added more when needed, and I also kept the folders at around CD size. With HD space now, I just backup to external drive when I need to. Think most naming conventions nowadays are artist_-_mod_name.ext.

As for a DB, I attached an image of my database which I store in Excel, did try to import to Access but it couldn't handle that many entries. I use an old plug-in for 32bit Totalcommder that just about handles old tracker files (not all) to grab the info before importing it into Excel, works for me but it's a bit of a chore to do. There is an old copy on AMP's website in the download section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MOD-DB.png
Views:	203
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	64007  

Page generated in 0.05046 seconds with 12 queries