View Single Post
Old 03 December 2013, 09:27   #45
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx View Post
Where did you find that? I found it for the first time this year.
It's not only not an ideal implementation, but also an unintentional implementation of other components
i.e.. a resistor is also a capacitor and an inductor, and might even make a good RF antenna.
It matters more as the frequency becomes higher.

Digital electronics, in most part, you can ignore that except for the supporting analogue
jargon making something work. Clock crystals and their capacitors oscillation for example.

I can't convey audio that I can hear over the net to show what I want to show you,
but it's actually about an Amiga emulation on a PC that lacks Amiga characteristic after the digital output at least.
Even resistors change their value over a period of time and can go out of tolerance if given long enough. A musician told me a while back that some TR808 drum machines are highly desirable because they have something subtly different to most of the others. I myself have a JX-3P that when I serviced I didn't retune the oscillators because I am used to them and I like their minor detuning.

The sound on a PC may just be too clinical for your ears, every Amiga would sound slightly different because of the age of the capacitors and the voltage levels and the amount of ripple being let through just to give a few examples. Looking at a data sheet for any analogue chip shows the tolerances of certain batches ( deviations ) and when you have a synth that has say 30 op amps in it then you are adding up and subtracting all the gain imperfections throughout the signal path. That's not even taking all the other components into consideration or thermal conditions. But exactly why analogue synths are usually left on for 45 minutes to an hour prior to playing so that they stabilize before tuning.

Page generated in 0.04475 seconds with 11 queries