Thread: Heretic II
View Single Post
Old 13 February 2020, 12:31   #26
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Thanks for all the info Carlo

I think I'll abort then... as I don't really want to mess around with OS4.x.

Classic OS 3.1 is where the Amiga stops for me.
Fair enough! The OS4 installation under emulation doesn't exactly look like a piece of cake from what I've read anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
It works in in 3.9 (in fact I didn't know it was compatible with OS4.) I'll give it a go with WinUAE see how I get on.
True for the open-source conversions of Heretic. It would be utterly surprising for a commercial Amiga release of Heretic II, though, unless Hyperion released a 68K patch at some late stage (but the only update patch I have is PPC). Given what NovaCoder has been able to achieve in his open-source conversions of FPS games from the PC, I wonder what he could've achieved with the source code of Heretic II on overclocked 060 systems with AGA/RTG.

Anyway, the game developer Hyperion reckon the game is PPC only in both the game manual and on their website! From the FAQ on their website:

Technical Requirements

OS 3.0 or higher
PPC (supported through WarpOS) and AGA
64 MB minimum, more recommended
3D acceleration supported through Warp3D (OpenGL)
Soundcards supported through AHI
4x CD ROM
350 MB free harddrive space

Will Heretic II run on AGA?

The AGA version already runs at acceptable speed on PPC.

Is there a 68k version?

Even on an overclocked 060/66 and after extensive assembly optimisation the software renderer version proved too slow. With 3D hardware acceleration the same system can on occassion reach 20 fps regardless of the resolution. The calculation of the geometry however regularly proves too much for even an overclocked 060.

Last edited by DrBong; 13 February 2020 at 12:44. Reason: Added more info. from the FAQ!

Page generated in 0.04650 seconds with 11 queries