View Single Post
Old 23 January 2018, 22:44   #1
Fabio

AF 7 - Graphic setting

Hello everyone,

first post here, sorry it is long one.
AF user since 2011, updated to each new version ever since.

I'm having a hard time setting ideal graphics in AF 7 (same for 2016, but it doesn't really matter now), and looking for advice.

With Direct3D scrolling is not really smooth (with strange artifacts that look like slight tearing), but I'm able to set hardware full-screen mode and play relatively comfortably, although there is no screen filter.

With DirectDraw, it's slightly smoother, there's the nice screen filter. But I can't use hardware full-screen (the emulation slows down to crawl, kind of half-speed) and the screen is not centered.

V-Sync always speeds up the emulation (almost double-speed) when enabled. This happens with both DirectDraw and Direct3D.

This is on a Win 8.1 PC, ASUS H77, i5-3570, R9 290, 8GB RAM

I'm using a a 24" inch 16:9 screen and aim at keeping the original ratio, with centered image. I would be happy to know if there are work-arounds or other ways to set up things properly (I don't mind editing config files and digging a bit).

Note that I also have a Win 7 partition on the same PC, where I'm using Amiga Forever 2014 with much success. Very smooth experience, nice graphic filter, centered image with original ratio, using the following settings:

Use hardware fullscreen modes
PAL Default video mode
Always use more accurate (slower) emulation
Graphic API: DirectDraw

The only problem here is going in and out of full-screen mode (e.g. to save a snapsot) repeatedly will eventually crash the graphic driver (often to a BSOD, had this across 3 Win 7 PCs, with AF 2013 and 2014).

Page generated in 0.04324 seconds with 11 queries