View Single Post
Old 22 September 2014, 08:16   #42
meynaf
son of 68k

Well after thinking about it, i've changed my mind about the way to make these ports. It appears we're not using the right methods here.

We have two Atari game ports. We need two Amiga game ports.
But, wait. If we had a common platform interface, rewriting that code would be all that's needed to make one.

So the idea is to replace every X68000 (or Atari, depending where you start from) specific thing by some call to an external, well-documented function which you invent yourself. The fact the function is just a place holder does not matter as long as it behaves correctly (and we can leave the most difficult ones for later).
If the same functions are used for every port (they clearly are for my ST ports, even my Mac HOMM2 port works with that very same set), then it's just a matter of implementing them. These functions have to be high level enough, like load a file at some place, wait next vbl, update screen region, etc, but certainly not "emulate X68k register xyz". They need to be put in an include file so nothing specific remains in the main source. This way, whether the port is made on Atari or Amiga would simply not matter : only the special functions would differ !
And cherry on the cake, having that for the x68k itself would make a great reference...

About the asm syntax, try assembling on Atari with Devpac and you will see what needs to be changed (we need to use a common syntax of course).
You could also try VAsm on the PC (perhaps it's able to make an x68k exe, if not i can request it).

Are you ready to work this way ?

Page generated in 0.04525 seconds with 11 queries