View Single Post
Old 10 August 2012, 23:07   #4
Photon

Exactly, it's about resolution. I think it would look like vomit without scanlines - you'd have to see the curvature to understand/accept the distortion (and to avoid antialiasing-pixels getting stuck together regardless of technique and becoming blobs).

The PC demos that have attempted this for some strange nostalgic-but-not-nostalgic-enough-to-code-for-the-platforms-to-which-they-pay-homage reason have heavily exaggerated the curvature and added layers of interference -- to cover up the fact they cannot produce the lovely pillow-shaped pixels and the not-ridiculously-exaggerated-contrast-ratio-neon-colors-but-subdued-candy-glow that are the reasons CRTs are awesome (not scanlines, curvature distortion, or TV type PAL coloring and moire patterns).

I still think results that look good are simply not achievable, but of course WinUAE could be the first Me, I liked PAL+Scanlines on the 15", 1920x1080 of my Dell laptop, and I haven't had similar success with same on bigger non-CRT screens.

You can tell how passionate I am about this by the sheer number of hyphens in this post. Don't mess with the hyphens!

Page generated in 0.05964 seconds with 11 queries