Thread: Emulation error
View Single Post
Old 03 February 2014, 11:02   #13
jdow
Oh, her, from BIX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
This is by design. Due to internal design of emulation, uaehf.device unit numbers are also reserved for directory filesystems (if first filesystem in Harddrives list is directory, it gets unit 0 and so on.. these all return HFERR_NoBoard)

This was made for HDToolBox (which is the most common HD tool for "normal" users) compatibility, if it gets NoBoard it will keep enumerating later units. If it gets other error, it stops. Other tools seem to do just the opposite (for example hdinsttools). Annoying.

If you are going to use low level HD utilities, it is good idea to move all directory harddrives after HDFs in HardDrives panel. This way first HDF (the one you want to work with) will get unit 0 and so on..

I'll test other problems later.
Technically, though, the error results are dead wrong. HDToolBox will properly run if you return TDERR_BadUnitNum. That is the expected return. Allowing HFERR_NoBoard to work was a concession for the ApolloSCSI.

HDToolBox works on the Microbotics HardFrame, which returned proper values. And RDPrepX works on the Commodore scsi.device in A3000s and GVP's scsi boards. That shows BadUnitNum is the expected return. It would be nice to get it right in memorial of Steve Beats and Randall Jesup if not me. Steve did the original work on the Commodore drivers. Randall did lots of cleanup and developed the RDBs in conjunction with me and GVP. Those were fun days. (Amigas read disks faster than any other OS around. It was used for testing disk speeds for several years in the early days. That's how I got some cheap drives. {^_-})

It's probably no big deal except to perfectionists. However, getting DiskEd to work would be nice.

(Low level disk work is a "joy". All manner of interesting bugs turn up. I just discovered Windows will happily truncate off the end of a disk to report the size as a multiple of 822580 bytes - 512 bytes/sector, 63 cylinders, 255 sectors/cylinder. Yick. I gotta boot to CloneZilla and take a new copy of that 18G SCSI disk to get the last blocks. SIGH! It's not that important. It's just annoying.)

{^_^} Joanne

Page generated in 0.58318 seconds with 11 queries