View Single Post
Old 14 September 2008, 14:43   #93
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@Charlie

Desoldering Through Hole components can be tricky, more so pending on the type of solder, some of that lead free stuff is an absolute arse to heat properly.

i have a few methods of attack, first is to cover the component leads in plumbers flux, (this is more caustic than battery acid if left so CLEAN AFTER USE!!!)

I dip the solder wick / mop in plumber flux also, using a HOT iron (around 320-380c) and tap for 2 seconds each lead with the solder mop in between the iron tip and component lead.

the other method i use can be a little more dangerous if you are not use to hot air, so practice on JUNK first as bunring boards is NOT a good thing..

again cover the area in plumbers flux paste (again this stuff is EVIL if left uncleaned but the results are worth the effort) using hot air (around the 360c mark with low air flow) gently circle the area for a few minutes untill the flux begins to smoke, at this point you know the solder is ready to be sucked up...

again, keep the hot air nozzle moving, if you stall and concentrate on the sucking its likely you will blister the board.

finally the last method can be anyone of these, but having the board on its side and adding a small amount of pressure, gently pulling the component away from the otherside.

again ALWAYS CLEAN the board if you use a caustic flux paste or you wont have a working board in the morning!!!

*ahem*
I have my own method which works also. This is to resolder the legs with lead solder, you will then find the braid gets the solder off easier.

Page generated in 0.05329 seconds with 11 queries