View Single Post
Old 31 October 2019, 12:45   #9
Glen M

I have a bit of a soft spot for all retro computers and currently setup on my own desk in the man cave is my CD32 and 386SX. The CD32 is only there cause I've been working on it but usually its the 1200 (same difference in terms of games really). Both the IBM compatible and the Amiga get similar amounts of use and the games honestly play just as well as on both systems. The PC stuff maybe looks a bit better but the Amiga stuff sounds better so I'd call it even.

One good test though was my 7 year old son who has his own windows 10 rig in his bedroom (obsessed with minecraft and roblox) and he would spend sometime with Dad looking at the retro machines too. He was able to boot the Amiga and navigate around workbench to load a game but be thought the 386 was broken when it just booted to a DOS prompt. So in that respect the Amiga wins hands down.

Back to the point though the main difference as I see it between the A500 and the 386 would have been the HDD. So you'd have been looking one of those side car things that also would have added the ram. You probably could have got that for your £235 budget but the 386 would still have been faster. I'm not so sure your budget would have stretched to an accelerator too.

Back in 1992 I would not have seen the point in keeping the games but selling the machine so option 3 is out in that respect.

Page generated in 0.08565 seconds with 11 queries