View Single Post
Old 18 April 2008, 21:56   #32
paranoid
Phone Zen

A little late, perhaps, but I'll chime in.

First, I'd disagree with Crackersixx that it's only nostalgia. I went through a phase where I bought up a bunch of old computers to see what they were like. You can't really get that from an emulator in the same way. It's sort of like the drive clicking sound in WinUAE and scanlines. They can do a great job in enhancing the experience, but it's still never quite perfect. There's the feel of the Amiga mouse, maybe, an actual "help" key that never seems to actually give any help.. I think someone might really enjoy that experience over an emulator if they've never used an Amiga before. It's also the case that no matter how perfect an emulator is, you can never be fully 100% sure there isn't some bug that caused a crash or incompatibility. (When a real Amiga crashes you get to wonder if something's overheating or a chip is failing.. )

But, truth be told, I'd say go with WinUAE (providing you have a computer that'll run it well, which isn't a lot actually). I've got a 500 and a 1200, but would rather the desk space and I enjoy the conveniences of WinUAE too much (like the turbo function for disks, transferring files is just drag and drop from a Windows directory, etc etc). I also figure it's going to run everything I'd like to it perfectly fine. Plus, with JIT and Picasso96 I've (sort of) got a pretty sweet Amiga.

Page generated in 0.04480 seconds with 11 queries