View Single Post
Old 05 April 2016, 18:59   #10
pandy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
If you play a 22050Hz sample in protracker 22168Hz or 22030Hz I don`t see/hear any problem. You get problems when your sample is a drumloop (at least 4 beats). Then it can go out of sync. I also noticed that BPM might be different from device to device. For example when I record a drumloop at 125 BPM from MC-303 and play it in Protracker at 125 BPM it needs finetuning to fit the sync.

However, for single instruments and most non drumloop samples a simple 44,1kHz to 22050Hz conversion is good enough IMO. Drift errors can be fixed by finetuning.
I'm not a musician but even at this forum there are discussions about musical notation, frequencies etc where 20Hz detune seem to be big issue.
Playing 22050Hz transposed down by almost 20Hz seem to me like not the best idea especially in case where people complain that Amiga sample rate are not in line with common musical notation, and yes - i agree probably 20Hz detune will be not particularly noticeable by most of people but if things can be done correctly then why bother especially that proper sample rate conversion take on PC anyway less time than on Amiga (from my perspective modern PC with lot of RAM, CPU power, and storage space is better tool to convert from 16 bit to 8 bit than Amiga - also amount of data required to transfer is lower).

Page generated in 0.18239 seconds with 11 queries