View Single Post
Old 20 October 2018, 21:33   #20
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I strongly disagree with everyone who has suggested Monkey Island 1 & 2. The Amiga versions of these games were crap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
To clear things up, I am NOT saying the games were crap. Both games are brilliant!

But the graphics are so much better on the PC. The Amiga versions were not much better than Sierra's Amiga ports in my opinion. No copper usage for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
And you did you say the Amiga versions were crap, it's in your first post!
Yep, but the point Hewitson is trying to make is that he generally likes the MI games......but thinks that the Amiga release in each case is a poor man's PC conversion, much like Sierra's PC ports of similar games to the Amiga. It really does help to closely read what people actually post and to put emotion aside - but I'm sure he was hoping to get people to bite and he certainly achieved that, didn't he!

@Hewitson
You managed another strong response in this latest "contentious" thread designed to evoke/provoke discussion! I think you're being a bit harsh, though, equating Lucasfilm's MI games to Sierra's mundane PC ports of their point 'n' click adventures to the Amiga. Sierra were crap for several years on the Amiga and couldn't even manage a good fist of games when they had a second go of it with their Amiga conversions of all the "enhanced" editions of King's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry etc. (see HERE). These "enhanced" editions were as piss-poor as the original Ami conversions, if you ask me!

Lucasfilm definitely put a decent effort into the OCS/ECS conversions of the MI games, and probably would've given the PC a better run for its money (well, for gfx anyway) if AGA machines had been released by C= 2 years earlier like they should've. Moot point, I know, coz it didn't happen.

Still, quite a good effort by Lucasfilm considering pragmatic stuff like publisher deadlines that had to be dealt with by the devs. Perhaps an even better effort by the devs when you factor in that the Amiga was pretty much dead in the water in the U.S. by 1991/92, with the A500/1000 looking decidedly long in the tooth compared to the VFM bells 'n' whistles PCs flooding the American market (which, incidentally, were at least 25-50% more expensive everywhere else in the world!).

In the end, Lucasfilm probably went above and beyond to get such decent Ami conversions of the MI games done for the captive Euro market. God knows they weren't gonna break any records with Amiga sales in North America or the tiny Aussie/NZ markets!

Last edited by DrBong; 20 October 2018 at 22:18. Reason: Fixed typos!

Page generated in 0.10015 seconds with 11 queries