Thread: Minix
View Single Post
Old 29 July 2015, 18:22   #5
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabindranath72 View Post
If you could try getting an XT format hdf (Toni Wilen says he got it working...somehow) it would be really helpful, at least I could see if MINIX likes XT better than SCSI on WinUAE.
First I'd have to try to get it running, to be honest I never used Minix on Amiga. My only experiences with Minix are with versoin 3 on x86, which seems to be very different.

Quote:
As a toolchain I was thinking of using cc on MINIX itself on WinUAE (just for that retro-experience ) although I also have Aztec C 5.10 on my A1200, as it supports pre-ANSI C.
So, Minix 1.5 is written in pre-ANSI C? Ouch . I hoped to cross-compile it from some modern OS with not-so-huge amount of work required...

Quote:
What NetBSD drivers did you write?
Here's the list.

Quote:
I'll definitely look at Linux, NetBSD and AROS for IDE implementations, I want to keep things as simple as possible, say ATA-1 level, so as to re-use as much of the official AT code in MINIX as possible.
Agreed, best to keep it simple.

Quote:
Another challenge, for the future, is to allow MINIX to fully support virtual memory (I have a 68030 accelerator in my A1200) and replace process shadowing. But until I get a proper HD installation of MINIX that's not really (easily) feasible.
I don't want to discourage you, but it sounds like a very ambitious project . And there are already UNIX-likes for Amiga that support virtual memory and MMU (NetBSD, Linux). I think the most appealing part of Minix are its very small requirements and the fact it can work even on a plain 68000.

Page generated in 0.04135 seconds with 11 queries