View Single Post
Old 24 February 2017, 11:10   #28
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Another way is to use IDCMP messages from a window. In a full screen game you'd open a screen, open an invisible window the size of the screen, and use a wait message loop to get the IDCMP messages. You can also get mouse input etc like that.

Has one big drawback: You'll need multi threading.
Thanks Thorham. I've manged to use keyboard.device to read keypresses now. More particularly I'm reading the keyboard with KBD_READMATRIX and getting the status of individual keys from that. This works really well although I'm still getting stray keypresses. I assume it's because they're being buffered and the backlog builds up during play.

I think I will need to open some kind of invisible window to "soak them up". Samurai_Crow mentioned a RAW: device, which I read is a variation of the console which has unbuffered keypresses so I'm hoping that will work. EDIT: I just found some code in the RKM that might help - "Using the Console Device Without a Window".

In other news, I used a RastPort for the first time to write a make-shift scoreboard. That one turned out to be dead easy. At times learning this stuff has been like wading through treacle, so It's great when that happens!

Page generated in 0.10159 seconds with 11 queries