View Single Post
Old 12 December 2017, 16:18   #12
Miggy4eva
Amiga warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Interesting ideas but the optimisations required are such a lot of work. And for what? Kudos?
Amiga users have their pick of accelerators and can play the AmiWolf_ECS port at full speed on just about any of them.
I don't think you'll inspire any Amiga coder to pick up the challenge without taking part yourself and getting down and dirty.
I want it to prove the OCS could have done it a long time ago. I want to see the machine I love have success and I know in my heart it was truly future proof by 10 years, to see 1985 spec machine running a PC game from 90's proves this. I would play the game from start to finish if it was released on the Amiga and have some nice thoughts about what could have been.
Amiwolf ECS is slow, needs fast machines, not original OCS.
I AMMMMM willing to get involved, I can convert graphics and select palettes, and collect information from all other discussions as well as demo examples to show what is possible, and offer ideas to the level I can understand. I am willing to check this thread every day and offer ideas and thoughts to anyone stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
If you wanted it for so long, then make it happen, instead of instructing others to make it happen (or trying to convince them somehow).
What are you exactly bringing to the table besides prodding people incessantly about something, and even when you are told "it doens't work", insist on the contrary, even if you do not have the technological knowledge to assert such assumptions?
I know it's possible because of so many other "tips of the iceberg" we have seen in other Amiga demo's and games. And also the fact Wolf is on inferior machines to the Amiga proves it is possible on Amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
Come on, name ONE thing where a Wolf3D-game would graphically benefit from the A500 hardware? There's no point in discussing these thing unless you have concrete suggestions to put on the table.
Compared to Atari version - copper and blitter. Copper to assist c2p and change palettes for more colours on screen, and perform mode 7 "like" (I know mode 7 is SNES) operations to appear like texture mapping and cheat in some areas and save CPU. Blitter to help shift data around the screen, scale the sprites, and one idea I have is in first-person when the player stands still and turns around with the side cursor keys instead of doing 3d the blitter can just scroll the image in silky-smooth 50fps. With some smart code we could detect whenever the player is just turning or when some object is only moving sideways, and scroll it directly in planar instead of rendering in 3d in chunky and then converting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
And as I've said before, I would actually be interested in making a Wolf3D-style game on the A500, but threads like this one are a surefire way to make me lose my interest.

And I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few other coders feel the same way...
Huh? WE are people who would worship you if you did it, do you hate the Amiga fans that much?? That should be who you live for if you are an Amiga programmer, isn't it? I do not understand this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Porting the Mac version would be better than the DOS version because the QuickDraw plotter used non-textured polygons instead of texture mapping. The Amiga polygon plotter is still not fast enough but it would still avoid the chunky to planar conversion.
OK that sounds great, avoiding C2P would clear the main obstacle!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Surely starting with the Apple IIgs source (which is what they did for the AtariST demo) is the way to go.
The source is already configured for a 16-bit host CPU with no FPU but it does have chunky graphics
I am just very worried about a lazyport that doesn't use Amiga's full abilities with that approach. This can not be just the same as the Atari version, it must beat it in the following areas:
1) 64 colours on screen
2) Higher resolutions. Early versions to have 2x1 pixel doubling, even 2x2, but the goal should be to return to 1x1 with optimisations
3) 20 fps. In other threads the calculations show this is possible
4) Superior sound quality which only the Amiga can deliver

Page generated in 0.04388 seconds with 11 queries