View Single Post
Old 06 November 2014, 13:27   #14
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami_GFX View Post
Given that electrolytic capacitors are one of the components most likely to fail over time, the failure rate on both is pretty low. On four A4000s I've had over the last 5 years, the grand total of leaked SMD caps has been 3. Failed caps that just stop working are harder to detect because, in most cases, the Amiga works fine with a missing power supply cap or two. I used an A3640 for years with the three caps with the wrong polarity completely removed.
Commodore hardware is fairly forgiving which is a blessing and a curse (consider timing issues with accelerators).

My main consideration for this project was not so much for the leaking of the capacitors but the damage they do to the board and the effort required to clean it up and get it working again. The battery will do far more damage than the caps but the caps near the audio stage do tend to make a mess when left, more a consideration of that area being the most heavily populated in the smallest space. By the time people even notice a problem it's usually after the electrolyte has eaten away some tracks under or near LF347.

My day job doesn't leave me much time any more but I will post some CRO shots of the audio from the newly capped boards for people to see and compare.

Page generated in 0.55749 seconds with 11 queries