View Single Post
Old 22 February 2019, 10:19   #31
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

A few points from my side here (and I am talking about OCS here):

1) obviously the Amiga has problems to get the typical late 80ies arcade game going, which usually has a parallax background and at least 16 colours in the foreground. Which is the fault of that stupid 3-3 layer bitplane split in dual playfield resulting in 8 background and 7 foreground colours. With a 4-2 split the Amiga would have been able to compete there a lot better.

2) I think 25hz are okay for these old games, but these days, with all the knowledge and tools we have now, should aim for 50hz on a vanilla A500 1mb machine under most circumstances.

3) It's well known that a lot of Amiga games were simply not using the chipset. But what irks me almost a bit more is, that there were also a lot of shitty graphics around.
I don't understand why there were so many ugly ports from the 8-bit machines. Exolon, which is a beautiful game on the C64 and Spectrum looks like horrible shit on the Amiga (and ST). Same with Cybernoid and lots of other games from the era.
For every Jim Sachs, Henk Nieborg and Pete Lyon there were a dozens of bad graphics guys around who were obviously not capable to properly utilize those free 16 colour palettes.

Page generated in 0.04435 seconds with 11 queries