View Single Post
Old 11 January 2020, 21:00   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtopofun View Post
Hi,

I recently tested a lot of old floppies in my Amiga and I believe some of them were infected with virus. I have now stopped going thru them since I dont want to spread this around more than whats allready possibly been done, and I dont know much about viruses and how the work. Still have about 1000 to go so..

System:
A1200, no expansions or HDD. No DF0, only using external drive DF1.

My (perhaps stupid) questions

1) Can my A1200 iniany way carry a virus by itself? Cold start, no disk in drive.. can it still be stored somewhere?

2) I found a working prog, Virus Checker 5, from an Amiga Shopper Disk. Its basically an running app in workbench that checks the drive each time I put a disk into it. Sometimes is says that the bootsequence is nonstandard, potential virus, and it lets me restore the code. I click yes and it does its thing and I just move on to the next disk. Is this the way to go? Or am I using the utility wrong? Many threads tell to "use this program to get it away" but not how you actually should do it in a safe way..

3) If I format a floppy, will it for sure wipe any viruses? Also, can a virus get on to a writedisabled disk?

/Bigtopofun
Once you switch your Amiga off via power supply, no virus can remain in memory.

Be careful using a Virus Checker. Not all non-standard bootblocks are harmful, many disks have a custom bootblock and without it, they won't boot.

Only allow your virus checker to remove and replace a bootblock it has physically identified to you what it is, like Byte Bandit for instance or SCA Virus.

If the Virus Checker doesn't tell you what it is, its less likely to be a virus.

If you format a disk thats it for a virus as the entire disk is overwritten. However if you QUICK Format, that is not always the case as a quick format modifies the root directory and sometimes the bootblock and nothing else.

And no, no virus can bypass the write protect tab, if the disk is write protected, its protected from virus infection.

Page generated in 0.05308 seconds with 11 queries