View Single Post
Old 05 September 2016, 15:40   #356
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj View Post
Let me start by saying I'm a little surprised by this reply, it seems somewhat defeatist.
Call it defaitist if you like, personally I prefer to call it cynical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsj
Well firstly if the code is public, it's not just on me to add bells and whistles, anyone can, at any point in the future.
That's what I was questioning. We're not lacking source code — we're lacking people who work on source code.

Quote:
Are there Amiga programs/utilities/drivers that I would very much like to add a feature to? Or fix a bug in? Heck yes.
In that case, go ahead. That's a very noble endeavour.

Quote:
We would be stronger with more code. There can never be enough open source code.
But that's just "nice to have", having source code for the sake of it. What we really need is programs, not source code.

Quote:
I'll give you a concrete example, I've always really liked MCP, but there are some things I really want it to do, that it can't. It's been unmaintained for a few years, so there is nobody for me to ask to do the work, and at some point there will be nobody who even could do the work because the source will become lost. If I can persuade the copyright owners to release it, then there will never be a time when some suitably motivated individual can't fix a bug or add a feature to it.
Unless you yourself step up to do that work, that source code is most likely just as useless as no source code at all.

Going back on topic, here's some sources which could use some C programmer's attention: http://www.david-mcminn.co.uk/blitz-...bss_source.lha

It's the last sources for the never-released update of Blitz Basic 2 and its TED editor.

Not that I think that it matters, since C coders seldom see a point in working on tools for "lesser" languages.

Page generated in 0.04370 seconds with 11 queries