View Single Post
Old 07 January 2016, 13:38   #89
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
The last time I played through Super Aleste I didn't notice much slowdown at all.
Maybe I'm thinking about the original Aleste, which was almost in an constant slowdown, he he he

Quote:
Are there any examples of Amiga games which would use only hardware sprites and put huge amounts of them to the screen? And what would be the theoretical maximum amount of hardware sprites on screen on an actual running game?

And also can sprite colors too be changed mid-frame? And if so, could we use this to get an almost unlimited amount of colors for our games? For example could we have 100 copper generated sprites on screen, each with an unique palette?
Swiv and Hybris are 2 games which, at least I've been told, abuse the Hardware Sprite limit on Amiga.

I am not the most technical guy around here, but AFAIK even though you can change colors midframe, you can't select different colors at different points every frame, you just keep a list of at what point of the screen the color registers will change every frame... you can't have a different list every frame. When you use the copper to change colors on the scanline, you usually do it on stuff that won't scroll vertically, or else you'll see stuff changing colors in the middle of the game. For example, take a look at Lionheart or Shadow of the Beast.. on the 1st level of both games the backgrounds never scroll vertically because their colors are changed midframe by the copper. If they moved vertically, stuff would change color while moving.

So I believe this has not much use for Megaman X, unless you go for a Dual Playfield mode and make the background scroll only vertically, while you'll have just 1+7 colors for foreground+enemy bobs.

Or you can call a Spectrum Day and have stuff changing colors everywhere. That's how we used to play our speccy games

Last edited by Shatterhand; 07 January 2016 at 17:43.

Page generated in 0.07826 seconds with 11 queries