Thread: Unarc ?
View Single Post
Old 11 February 2010, 01:23   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
The longer than 8 and 3 character names are preserved on my system as in the example "ActivateCrossIDEfix" from the c directory in IDEfix97.lha when extracted with Winrar to my laptop hard drive under Windows XP Pro service pack 3
Non of the files in this archive have names with characters which are illegal for PC disk formats.

Quote:
this is the method I used to set up my initial system and transfer WHDLoad and lots of WHLoad games
WHDload games are usually 1-file per disk. They usually do not consist of the actual Amiga files contained on those disks and so are not as susceptible to containing illegal characters.

Quote:
I know that if I burn a CD with WHDLoad games on it, the problems you mention are there and the Amiga cannot recognise most of what is there, if I then place the same CD in my laptop and copy the files to a fat formatted CF card and place that in the PCMCIA slot, those files/games are recognised and work no problem.
I believe this is due to a different reason. It sounds to me like your Amiga CDFS driver does not support the ISO9660 Joliet extension for long filenames. It will only see the standard ISO9660 8.3 names. I believe that if you had used a better CDFS driver or burned your CD with the Rockridge extension it would have worked as well as if it had been a CF card.

Quote:
A strange beast is the Amiga and its long filenames.
The problem I was reporting is nothing to do with "long filenames". It is to do with filenames containing characters which are illegal for PC disk formats such as NTFS and FAT but fine for Amiga formats.

e.g. the characters *<>?| etc.

Last edited by alexh; 11 February 2010 at 01:32.

Page generated in 0.11027 seconds with 11 queries