View Single Post
Old 23 August 2010, 09:56   #3
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
ixemul.library is best used with the -noixemul GCC option.
Yes, indeed!
In fact -noixemul prevents using of ixemul.library, which is recommended when you can afford it.

With ixemul.library your programs become an alien on any AmigaOS system. It will behave like a Unix program and uses all sorts of strange assignments for simulate such a system. When possible, you should invest some extra effort to make a real Amiga port.

When you absolutely need ixemul, because of the high complexity of the port, make sure not to use any hacks after the last official ixemul V48.

Quote:
Use Libnix if possible with GCC. No other compiler that I know of supports ixemul.
Some years ago vbcc supported ixemul.library. There was a special config file, startup code and stubs-library for that. After developing PosixLib, and moving my development system from my A3000 to my Pegasos, I seem to have lost the source. Maybe I should check some old hard disks before it is lost forever...

Quote:
VBCC
Good: easy install, portable, supported, small, above average code
Bad: slow, missing some tools

GCC 2.95.3
Good: good code, portable, fairly fast
Bad: install hell, no support, not very compatible with newer GCC

GCC 3.4.0
Good: more modern GCC support, portable, average code
Bad: install hell, no support, worse code than 2.95.3

SAS/C (Lattice C)
Good: fast, lots of tools (good debugger), polished, above average code
Bad: not portable, no support, not easy to use, old
I might add that older compilers like GCC 2 and SAS/C have no C99 support at all, SAS/C does not even support 64-bit arithmetics. This might be problematic when porting modern sources. Apart from that I still think that SAS/C generates the best 68k code.

Page generated in 0.06377 seconds with 11 queries