Thread: FS-UAE Net Play
View Single Post
Old 14 September 2013, 21:43   #310
AgentUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
How about shortcuts or buttons to do this? Kind of feeling lazy lol
I think I read that this would be done eventually. Lots of work to be done but so far it's pretty rockin' Works WAY better (easier) than the CCS64/Kaillera combo so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
It looks like you figured it out

As you discovered, when using /startgame from FS-UAE Launcher it expects to hit a game service, capable of launching a server instance for the game. But you do not have to use such a service with the launcher, you have the following options (http://fs-uae.net/launcher-net-play):
  • /startgame - connects to a game service (fengestad.no by default)
  • /hostgame - starts a new local game server instance
  • /customgame - connect to any running game server instance
Based you what you say, I think you originally expected the functionality given by the /customgame command! (Oh, and the net play feature hasn't left beta stage, so this is a very suitable thread )
Yep! I was originally running it with /customgame but I had some connectivity issues. I decided to run the standalone game server to see what was wrong, and in doing so I thought it would just be easier to run the standalone server anyways, as it helps when troubleshooting to constantly tail the consoles and logs. I just didn't realize I needed the service as well - this might be a great note to add to the download page, that the standalone fs-uae-game-server-x.y.z.py can't be used with the built-in netplay features of the Launcher, and you need to run the "service" to listen for incoming connections and spawn a new server instance. This is where I got a little confused.

All in all, though, I'm very impressed by the whole setup! Very easy to use, and the launcher in front of FS-UAE makes life so much nicer, especially with an Amiga Online/Forever import. I spent half the night trying to finally finish Shadow Of The Beast III, while my cousin across the country sets his up so we can play some Extreme Violence and Mean Arenas later on!

Page generated in 0.04364 seconds with 11 queries