View Single Post
Old 05 February 2012, 02:34   #19
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I had a quick look through the README but I didn't see a mention of a virtual keyboard. This is a feature I miss on C64 and Amiga emulators. Sure, we can change the keyboard layout but that is very time consuming for individual games and can be too limited with the typical USB joypad (not enough buttons).

Can this be looked at in the future?
1. Virtual keyboard to send keystrokes (include left/right mouse buttons)
2. Option to turn on/off joypad->mouse emulation on the fly.

fs-uae looks great, but until this is done you will still require a keyboard to play many games. I'm not talking about flight simulators, I'm talking about games that play with a joystick but require keys to change settings on the title screen / enter high scores / pause / cheat / quit to title / etc.
It is very late here in Norway, but I could not sleep, so why not post some replies instead

The virtual keyboard is actually a great idea!! I can promise this feature! I see in my head a semi-transparent keyboard overlay toggled on/off by a gamepad button.

Regarding your second point, I am planning to allow switching input devices in the joystick ports from the GUI (and perhaps even hot-plugging joysticks). And from the README, mouse emulation with gamepad is on the todo list

(Regarding C64, I am _thinking_ about porting Vice to my emulator framework - I too am missing an easy-to-control C64 emulator. However, this is not on the short term todo list...)

Page generated in 0.04142 seconds with 11 queries