View Single Post
Old 02 August 2015, 11:24   #176
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Yes, amiga-like, but presumably with much faster CPU and modern amounts of RAM and hard drive?

Or maybe we could argue about what "amiga-like" actually means? Those are always fun.
Amiga-like is for me something that offers the advantages the Amiga had.
Of course with more horsepower inside.

Quote:
Big deal, a few tens of seconds later it's back?

BSOD, or "Kernel Panic" as Linux calls it, indicates a bug in the OS, rather than in user software. Of course it's possible and they do happen, and Linus Torvalds turns into Incredible Hulk. I had a fairly reproducible one on a computer last year, something to do with the USB subsystem, the same software ran fine on a different PC though. Too many different hardware combinations...
Tens of seconds later it's back. But it was totally unexpected (unlike a crash on the amiga) so you didn't save a few things... and as your computer's memory is completely locked up, you can't even scan it for lost data...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
There was an escape sequence exploit that affected most MUI apps (I don't recall which mui class that was the culprit), including YAM, and one would typically use APIPE: for execution of commands.
Yup. There WAS an escape sequence. But what i'm asking is something that would work today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
If you _really_ believe that, then you can only be happy with the original Amiga - as beautiful as it is - with all its uglyness.
Be happy with your pc with all its ugliness as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
This feels like deja vu as in the Tanenbaum and Torvalds exchanges.
I'll do my best not to give any more replies in this thread.
Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
In that case, he is more of a hardware designer than a programmer, but never mind that. Let the programmer implement designs as necessary. MMU or managed code is question for Meynaf and von Boehn, not for me as a user. It's when Meynaf's approach to security makes my life as a user one of straddling a tightrope that he and his ilk should be removed from systems design.

I don't know about you guys, but what I want from a modern Amiga-like system is not something which must be used in an RF shielded cage with no internet connection. Sometimes, solving the problem is not the solution, but some problems can't be solved like a Gordian knot either.
But, WTF, when will you understand that i don't want to FORCE anyone in adopting a system without memory protection ??!

Quote:
you know what, i have been having a think, and i believe it is possible to give Maynaf what he wants without putting anybody else at risk.

we shouldn't have a checkbox somewhere to turn off memory protection, in case anyone is tempted to click it, because "give the user all the privileges" sounds like quite an appealing option. But if it could be done with, for instance, some modification to a startup sequence, the elite user will be able to do it, but the average user won't.

I have in mind a kind of multi-layered operating system, where the bottom layer is very small, but not like a microkernel, more like an extensible kernel, so you "build up" an effectively monolithic kernel by stacking the layers on top of each other during the boot process.
Could be made this way. Could also be located in some config file.
Could as well be a special version of the kernel which i don't give to cowards and ignorants

Quote:
I might investigate Raspberry Pi actually, maybe i could write this...
You wouldn't be alone.

Page generated in 0.09861 seconds with 11 queries