View Single Post
Old 13 June 2018, 08:07   #141
MalikS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by touko View Post
I agree, the AGA was crippled mainly to maintain compatibility with OCS,a more powerful amiga was already completed in 89 by miner (before he left commodore) but was never launcher due to costs, mainly for RAM, and if i remember right it was not compatible with the OCS .
The A500 started to have good sales and IMO Commodore did not want to stop that,and restarting a new desert crossing as it was with the A1000, with launching a new machine, even if more powerful it would have been too expensive,so what's the interest if you have a monster which nobody can buy ..

Atari like commodore had the know-how to did a more powerful system, but it was not viable for a mass market, see the X68K .
Why the AGA had better sales than falcon ??,because price,amiga compatibility,and of course softwares, new and existing with the OCS/ECS compatibility .

IMO if i judge the falcon and AGA only by hardware specs, for a stock machine the falcon is better no doubts, but if i takes the overall characteristics(price, softwares,evolutivity) the amiga is a better system .

yes and you buy a x68k,a NeoGeo or a powerful 386 rather,you speak like if money was not a problem,and precisely it was,even a simple 512 ko of RAM expansion for amiga was out of budget for the most of us .

The games defined whether a system could have good sales or not,even nowadays, games are a big factor .
I agree for most of it except for your statement about price.
It is a business rule : you can't get more than what you'll pay for.
Manufacturers like C= and Atari entered a price war, had small margins, and even with good sales they managed to tank.
Acorn did the opposite and survived (and Hermann Hauser, CEO, is a billionaire).
I'd be curious to know what net margin was for the various manufacturers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was Acorn with its niche education market (and the fact this company spent next to nothing on advertising)

If as you say buying a simple 512 kbytes (ko is for the French ;-) ) RAM expansion is an issue, then you are one of these people who will never buy any game or applications anyway, and will feed piracy ...
Call me posh or / and pedantic but I don't care about these people' feelings or ideas about which machine is the best : they are thieves and destructive.

Btw another way to read your remark about the RAM expansion as 'out of budget' is to understand you admit RAM upgrade for the Amiga was very expensive, thus making the Archimedes, with its standard 1 Mbyte of RAM ( + 512 kbytes ROM at launch time), not that expensive after all.

Page generated in 0.07652 seconds with 11 queries